Prezi and Planning

I thought I’d try and put some time into learning Prezi.  Here is the result and, coincidentally, my week 4 post.

One aspect I failed to include in the presentation was a discussion of the importance of html. Put simply, I think you really have to have some basic knowledge of html if you are going to work outside a LMS (and it helps even if you are only using an LMS). Sometime’s it is simply easier to know basic HTML than to have to depend on others. For example, I wanted to create a “People” page for my courses. In WordPress, the most obvious solution is to find a plug-in. Unfortunately, the only acceptable one also put all the members of any of the blogs in my network on the “People” page. So, I had to find my own solution. Using a couple of tutorials on php (which unfortunately I’ve just discovered no longer exist, as the domain registration has expired) and basic HTML knowledge, I was able to put this together, which I now use on all my courses.  If I hadn’t had this kind of (let’s be honest) barely competent level of working knowledge, I wouldn’t have been able to put this together.  Now imagine if I really knew HTML and php!

Comments 6

1. avatar Lisa M Lane wrote:

Really interesting. I’m wondering, looking at how your Prezi is organized, to what extent did creating it help you get your ideas together?

Posted 30 Sep 2011 at 6:14 pm
  2. avatar Laura wrote:

Thank you for sharing how HTML is useful to you. I agree that it can also be helpful in a LMS. I use it for things like making the menu items look different (e.g., bold, italics, size, etc…). Thank you for all of the ideas in your post. It was fun to look at the Prezi, too.

Posted 30 Sep 2011 at 11:54 pm
  3. avatar Kim McLean wrote:

I like your Prezi Week 4 presentation. You certainly have your work set for you, did I hear correctly that your course will be run over 3 weeks?

Posted 01 Oct 2011 at 8:17 am
  4. avatar Brandon wrote:

@Lisa: If I’m being honest, working on the Prezi actually made me more disorganized. But I think this is the problem with combining the task of learning to use Prezi with thinking about the problems of the week. I got much more distracted by the technical aspects than the actual pedagogical planning. Oh well.

@Kim: That’s right, three weeks. I’m working with another instructor to develop another three week course right now (and possibly another, depending) and it’s an interesting experience. Insane, but interesting.

Posted 01 Oct 2011 at 11:06 am
  5. avatar Norm Wright wrote:

Nice post.
    I like the way you used the screencast program to present your Prezi. I was looking at the Prezi program itself to add narration and it was complicated. Your approach seems simpler. Enjoyed it.
    I like your people page too.

Posted 01 Oct 2011 at 9:50 pm
  6. avatar Brandon wrote:

@Norm: Yes, the Prezi way to add narration is . . . less than ideal. I assume this is because it was designed as a powerpoint alternative and powerpoint is something generally used face-to-face. You’d think they could include an option to attach narration to the automatic advancement along the path.

Posted 02 Oct 2011 at 10:15 am